Can we have ucent ?

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Tue Oct 30 22:17:26 UTC 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 20:07:59 +0000, 12345swordy wrote:

> On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 at 19:25:18 UTC, kinke wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 at 19:04:00 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
>>> There no reason to put it into the druntime. Just have the functions
>>> themselves be dynamically compiled during runtime.
>>> https://wiki.dlang.org/LDC-specific_language_changes#.
40.28ldc.attributes.dynamicCompile.29

>> Oh yes, there are very good reasons for it. Dynamic compilation would
>> be dog slow for tiny programs, and depend on a ~20 MB DLL for code
>> generation, besides obviously being LDC specific.
>
> Dog slow? You compile it once! I don't know that hardware specs that TC
> is targeting at.

You compile once for every time the executable is run. In many cases, that
doesn't matter. In some cases, it's a large problem.

Except with only a small number of JIT-compiled functions, it shouldn't be
as large an issue most of the time.

This does mean an indirect call that can't be inlined for most 128-bit
math operations. Which might be slower on average than a user-defined
struct for fixed-length integers with an arbitrary number of bits.