OT: Indexing reordering in the eBay Search Engine

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Wed Oct 31 23:56:01 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 at 18:54:54 UTC, Pedro Alves
Batista wrote:
> On Friday, 19 January 2018 at 23:55:00 UTC, Jon Degenhardt
> wrote:
>> If anyone is interested in the type of work that goes on in my
>> group at eBay, take a look at this blog post by one of my
>> colleagues:
>> https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/blogs/tech/making-e-commerce-search-faster/
>>
>> It describes a 25% efficiency gain via a technique called
>> index reordering. This is the engineering side of the work, I
>> also work on recall and ranking.
>>
>> --Jon
>
> Really nice work Jon, I have done some lookings in `tsv-utils`,
> really impressive tool. I readed the paper, will have some
> demonstration of those techniques using D ?

Thanks! Yes, that was a really nice result. No demos of it though
(and it wasn't written in D).

Another paper that might be of interest: "The Architecture of
eBay Search",
http://sigir-ecom.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/2/9/102947274/ebay_search_architecture.pdf, published in the SIGIR 2017 e-commerce workshop.

And, there's some really cool work by one of my colleagues here:
https://github.com/simongog/sdsl-lite. It's a set of "succinct"
data structures, a set of very space efficient data structures
and algorithms.

--Jon