This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Sep 1 06:59:33 UTC 2018

On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 22:23:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 1:42 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Some countries do have engineering certifications and
>> professional permits for software engineering, but its still a
>> minority.
>
> That won't fix anything, because there is NO conventional
> wisdom in software engineering for how to deal with program
> bugs. I suspect I am the first to try to apply principles from
> aerospace to general engineering (including software).
>
> For example, in any CS program, are there any courses at all
> about this?

Yes, we had them on my degree, given that Portugal is one of
those countries with engineering certifications for software
engineering.

Certified degrees must comply with an expected level of quality,
otherwise they aren't legally allowed to call themselves
engineering degrees in informatics.

Now, what we don't have is the requirement of professional permit
for everyone, unless one wants to make use of the title in public
events or has the legal responsibility to sign off projects.

I expect other countries with engineering colleges to have
similar situations.

--
Paulo