Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sat Sep 1 11:00:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 31 August 2018 at 15:43:13 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> [...]
>> I wasn't talking about that, but about the fact that users are
>> slowly but surely nudged into a certain direction. And yes, D
>> was advertised as a "no ideology language".
>
> Sorry, "slowly but surely nudged" sounds very different from
> "forcing you into a new paradigm every 1 1/2 years".  So which
> is it?  A nudge, presumably from recommended practices which
> you don't really have to follow (e.g., I don't follow all D
> recommended practices in my own code), or a strong coercion
> that forces you to rewrite your code in a new paradigm or else?

Ah yeah, fair play to you. I knew I someone would see the force /
nudge thing. You're nudged over the years until you end up being
forced to use a certain paradigm. There's nothing wrong with
languages "forcing" you to use certain paradigms as long as it's
clear from the start and you know what you're in for. But moving
the goalposts as you go along is a bit meh. I remember that
Walter said that once he didn't care about (or even understand)
templates. Then it was all templates, now it's functional
programming (which I like). What will be next? Forced `assert`
calls in every function? I can already see it... But, again, it's
this attitude of nitpicking over words (nudge / force) instead of
addressing the issues that alarms me. It's not a good sign.