This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Sep 1 11:14:00 UTC 2018

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 1:59:27 AM MDT Walter Bright via Digitalmars-
d wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 5:40 PM, tide wrote:
> >>
> >> I've had that problem with every **DVD player** I've had in the last 20
> >> years. Power cycling is the only fix.
> >
> > Two very different things, odds are your DVD players code aren't even
> > written with a complete C compiler or libraries.
>
> Doesn't matter. It's clear that DVD player software is written by cowboy
> programmers who likely believe that it's fine to continue running a
> program after it has entered an invalid state, presumably to avoid
> annoying customers.
>
> Newer DVD/Bluray players have an ethernet port on the back. I'd never
> connect such a P.O.S. malware incubator to my LAN.

Unfortunately, in the case of Blu-ray players, if you don't, at some point,
you likely won't be able to play newer Blu-rays, because they keep updating
the DRM on the discs, requiring updates to the players - which is annoying
enough on its own, but when you consider that if it weren't for the DRM,
there wouldn't be any reason to hook up a Blu-ray player to a network, the
fact that the DRM essentially requires it is that much more egregious. But
sadly, increasingly, they seem to want you to hook up all of your stray
electronics to the network, which is anything but safe. Fortunately, not all
of them actually require it (e.g. I've never hooked up my TV to any network,
and I see no value in anything it runs that would require it), but too many
do.

- Jonathan M Davis