This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Sep 1 11:36:52 UTC 2018

On 9/1/2018 2:15 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> Yes, we had them on my degree,
>>
>> I'm curious how the courses you took compared with the articles I wrote about it.
>
> I will read the articles later, but as overview, we learned about:
> [...]
It appears to have nothing related to what the articles are about.

I'm rather sad that I've never seen these ideas outside of the aerospace
industry. Added to that is all the pushback on them I get here, on reddit, and
on hackernews.

I see the results all the time. Like when someone can use a radio to hack into a
car computer via the keyless door locks, and take over the steering and braking
system. Even worse, when engineers discuss that, it never occurs to them that
critical systems should be electrically separate from the infotainment system
and anything that receives wireless data. They just talk about "fixing the bug".

BTW, people who run spy networks figured this out long ago. It's all divided up
by "need to know" rules and cells. Any spy captured and tortured can only give
up minimal information, not something that will allow the enemy to roll up the
entire network.