D is dead

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Sat Sep 1 12:03:18 UTC 2018

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 19:34:46 +0000, Abdulhaq wrote:

> There is a class of developers who expect things to Just Work TM,
> especially if they are told that it Just Works. Each time that they
> discover some combination of features that doesn't work they have to
> refactor their code and remember not to try that again. Ultimately the
> developer painfully learns the things that they should not attempt to
> use, or they give up before the process is complete and leave. I expect
> the pain caused by this is much more acute in a commercial environment
> where the pressure is on.
>
> Long term D developers have learnt not to bother with certain features
> or combinations of features and forget all the pain they went through to
> get that knowledge. They are ones saying, come in the water's lovely.

+1

It's easy to recommend D to someone because it does X, Y, and Z so well,
not realizing they need X, Y, and B. And D has a honeymoon period - it's
so awesome and will solve all our problems... until you dig deeper, trying
to get more and more out of it and struggle to make sense of how to make
it fit together.

The pragmatic approach to language design has its downsides.