This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

tide tide at tide.tide
Sat Sep 1 12:25:17 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 1 September 2018 at 07:59:27 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 5:40 PM, tide wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had that problem with every **DVD player** I've had in
>>> the last 20 years. Power cycling is the only fix.
>>
>> Two very different things, odds are your DVD players code
>> aren't even written with a complete C compiler or libraries.
>
> Doesn't matter. It's clear that DVD player software is written
> by cowboy programmers who likely believe that it's fine to
> continue running a program after it has entered an invalid
> state, presumably to avoid annoying customers.
>
> Newer DVD/Bluray players have an ethernet port on the back. I'd
> never connect such a P.O.S. malware incubator to my LAN.

It does matter, I've programmed on embedded systems where the
filename length was limited to 10 or so characters. There were
all kinds of restrictions, how do you know when you have to power
cycle that isn't an assert being hit and having the powercycle is
the result of a hardware limitation that these "cowboy
programmers" had no control over ? You are making a lot of wild
assumptions to try and prove a point, and that all bugs can be
solved with asserts (which they can't). Hey guys race conditions
aren't a problem, just use an assert, mission fucking
accomplished.