This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Sep 1 21:05:04 UTC 2018

On 9/1/2018 5:33 AM, tide wrote:
> It is vastly different, do you know what fly by wire is?

Yes, I do. Do you know I worked for three years on critical flight controls
systems at Boeing? I said so in the article(s). These ideas are not mine, I did
not come up with them in 5 minutes at the keyboard. They're central to the
aerospace design industry, and their fantastic safety record is testament to how
effective they are.

> If the system controlling that just stops working, how do you
> expect the pilot to fly the plane?

https://www.digitalmars.com/articles/b40.html

May I draw your attention back to the "Dual Path" section.

Fly by wire failures are no different in principle from a total hydraulic system
failure on a fully powered flight control system.

Airliners do suffer total hydraulic failures now and then, despite being unable
to fly without hydraulics, yet land safely. I'll give you one guess how that is
done :-) I can give you a brief rundown on how it works after you guess.