This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Sep 1 21:47:38 UTC 2018

On 9/1/2018 2:33 PM, Gambler wrote:
> Alan Kay, Joe Armstrong, Jim Coplien - just to name a few famous people
> who talked about this issue. It's amazing that so many engineers still
> don't get it. I'm inclined to put some blame on the recent TDD movement.
> They often to seem stress low-level code perfectionism, while ignoring
> high-level architecture and runtime resilience (in other words, system
> thinking).

Yup. The worst notions in the industry are:

1. We can make this software bug-free by using Fad Technique X.

2. Since our software has no bugs in it, we needn't concern ourselves with what
happens when it fails.

3. If it does fail, since we have no plan for that due to (2), we must let it
proceed anyway.

What could possibly go wrong?