This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 2 03:27:05 UTC 2018

On 08/31/2018 05:09 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> It's precisely for this reason that the title "software engineer" makes
> me cringe on the one hand, and snicker on the other hand.  I honestly
> cannot keep a straight face when using the word "engineering" to
> describe what a typical programmer does in the industry these days.

Science is the reverse-engineering of reality to understand how it
works. Engineering is the practical application of scientific knowledge.

I don't know, maybe those are simplified, naive definitions. But I've
long been of the opinion that programming is engineering...*if* and only
if...you're doing it right.

Of course, my background is primarily from programming itself, not from
an existing engineering field, so I certainly won't claim that what I do
necessarily qualifies as "engineering", but it is something I try to
aspire to, FWIW.