This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 2 07:56:09 UTC 2018

On 09/02/2018 02:06 AM, Joakim wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 05:16:43 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa)
> wrote:
>>
>> Smug as I may have been at the at the time, it wasn't until later I
>> realized the REAL smart ones were the ones out partying, not the grads
>> or the nerds like me.
>
> Why? Please don't tell me you believe this nonsense:
>
> "Wadhwa... argues (I am not joking) that partying is a valuable part of
> the college experience because it teaches students interpersonal skills."
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2012/05/22/a-college-bubble-so-big-even-the-new-york-times-and-60-minutes-can-see-it-sort-of/

Learning skills from partying? Hah hah, no, no, it's not about anything
like that. :) (Social skills matter, but obviously plenty of other ways
to practice those.)

No, it's just that honing skills isn't the only thing in life that
matters. Simply living life while you're here is important too, for its
own sake, even if you only realize it after the fact.