Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sun Sep 2 08:16:01 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 1 September 2018 at 21:18:27 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 09/01/2018 07:12 AM, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Hope is usually the last thing to die. But one has to be wise
>> enough to see that sometimes there is nothing one can do. As
>> things are now, for me personally D is no longer an option,
>> because of simple basic things, like autodecode, a flaw that
>> will be there forever, poor support for industry technologies
>> (Android, iOS)
>
> Much as I hate to agree, that IS one thing where I'm actually
> in the same boat:
>
> My primary current paid project centers around converting some
> legacy Flash stuff to...well, to NOT Flash obviously. I *want*
> to use D for this very badly. But I'm not. I'm using Unity3D
> because:
>
> 1. For our use right now: It has ready-to-go out-of-the-box
> WebAsm support (or is it asm.js? Whatever...I can't keep up
> with the neverending torrent of rubble-bouncing from the web
> client world.)
>
> 2. For our use later: It has ready-to-go out-of-the-box
> iOS/Android support (along with just about any other platform
> we could ever possibly hope to care about).
>
> 3. It has all the robust multimedia functionality we need
> ready-to-go on all platforms (actually, its capabilities are
> totally overkill for us, but that's not a bad problem to have).
>
> 4. C# isn't completely totally horrible.
>
> I will be migrating the server back-end to D, but I *really*
> wish I could be doing the client-side in D too, even if that
> meant having to build an entire 2D engine off nothing more than
> SDL.

> Unfortunately, I just don't feel I can trust the D experience
> to be robust enough on those platforms right now, and I
> honestly have no idea when or even if it will get there (Maybe
> I'm wrong on that. I hope I am. But that IS my impression even
> as the HUUUGE D fan I am.)

"when or even if" I'm in the same situation but I can't wait
anymore. Apps are everywhere these days and if you can't provide
some sort of app, you're not in a good position. It's the realty
of things, it's not a game, for many of us our jobs depend on it.

Btw, why did I get this message yesterday:

"Your message has been saved, and will be posted after being
approved by a moderator."

My message hasn't shown up yet as it hasn't been approved yet ;)