[OT] college

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sun Sep 2 09:43:34 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 07:56:09 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 09/02/2018 02:06 AM, Joakim wrote:
>> On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 05:16:43 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> (Abscissa) wrote:
>>>
>>> Smug as I may have been at the at the time, it wasn't until
>>> later I realized the REAL smart ones were the ones out
>>> partying, not the grads or the nerds like me.
>>
>> Why? Please don't tell me you believe this nonsense:
>>
>> "Wadhwa... argues (I am not joking) that partying is a
>> valuable part of the college experience because it teaches
>> students interpersonal skills."
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2012/05/22/a-college-bubble-so-big-even-the-new-york-times-and-60-minutes-can-see-it-sort-of/
>>

> Learning skills from partying? Hah hah, no, no, it's not about
> anything like that. :) (Social skills matter, but obviously
> plenty of other ways to practice those.)
>
> No, it's just that honing skills isn't the only thing in life
> that matters. Simply living life while you're here is important
> too, for its own sake, even if you only realize it after the
> fact.

Eh, having fun should be part of the college experience of
course, but I suspect most of those out partying were taking it
far beyond that. I bet many of them regret that today.

You're right that college is largely an irrelevant playground,
precisely because of the incoherent combination of theory and
bows to what they think are popular industry practices that you
laid out. Most will be out of business within a decade or two, as
online learning takes their place.