[OT] college

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 2 19:30:58 UTC 2018

On 09/02/2018 05:43 AM, Joakim wrote:
> Most will be out
> of business within a decade or two, as online learning takes their place.

I kinda wish I could agree with that, but schools are too much of a
sacred cow to be going anywhere anytime soon. And for that matter, the
online ones still have to tackle many of the same challenges anyway, WRT
successful and effective teaching.

Really the only difference is "physical classroom vs no physical
classroom". Well, that and maybe price, but the community colleges have
had the uni's well beat on price for a long time (even manage to do a
good job teaching certain things, depending on the instructor), but they
haven't made the uni's budge: The best they've been able to do is
establish themselves as a supplement to the uni's, where people start
out with some of their gen-ed classes at the (comparatively) cheap
community colleges for the specific purpose of later transferring to a uni.