D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl
Mon Sep 3 06:29:02 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 12:07:17 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> I've only been programming since 1983 so I had the benefit of
> high level languages like BBC BASIC, C, a Forth I wrote myself,
> and Modula 3.  And although I had to write a disassembler at
> least I has assemblers built in.  Programming using a hex
> keypad is not that satisfying after a while.  It takes a long
> time to develop a language, its ecosystem and community.

Hear, hear!

Even though some languages like Julia, Rust and Go are much
better funded than D - and their creators have excellent taste in
different ways - they still have to go through similar
evolutionary steps. There is no fast path. Whatever design
decision you make, you always end up fixes bugs and corner cases.
I was amazed how behind Rust's debugger support was last year (I
witnessed a talk at FOSDEM). They are catching up, but it just
goes to show...

One thing I want to add that we ought to be appreciative of the
work people put in - much of it in their spare time. I wonder if
W&A and others sometimes despair for the lack of appreciation
they get. Guido van Rossum burning out (W, notably, was the one
to post that here first) is a shame. Even though he created a
language which I find less tasteful he did not deserve to be
treated like that. Simple.