D IDE

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Sep 4 00:16:16 UTC 2018

On 09/03/2018 02:55 PM, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 16:55:10 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> But if you're ever expecting IDE support to be a top priority of many
>> of the contributors, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. It's
>> the sort of thing that we care about because we care about D being
>> successful, but it's not the sort of thing that we see any value in
>> whatsoever for ourselves
>
> Why is that? I've never used an IDE much, but I wonder why you don't and
> what your impressions are of why many other core D users don't either.

I used to use them all the time, but it got too frustratingly difficult
to find ones that didn't take forever to start up, and didn't lag like
crazy while trying to get my work done.

Plus, I've done so much development on so many platforms that (even if
only at the time) didn't have much in the way of either IDE or debugger
support (or good support for *my* current IDE and required me to use
*their* IDE), that I just learned how to be productive with basic editor
+ file manager + command line. With those, I can do pretty much anything
I need for just about any platform/language.

Whenever I've relied on an IDE, I was constantly dealing with bad
support for X in language Z, no support for Y when deving for platform
W, trying to do Q was a big series of steps that could NOT be easily
automated, etc...It was an endless mess, and trying to add support for
XYZ was always a major project in an of itself. And there was ALWAYS
something new I needed support for, but couldn't get and didn't have the
time to build. It was a series of prisons. Weening myself off IDEs freed me.

I'll tell you, it's REALLY nice being able to get my work done,
*improve* my workflow as I see fit(!!), in just about any language I
need, for just about any target platform I need, without ever having to
whine about "I can't use your tech unless you build better integration
with this one particular IDE!" (Sound similar to anything often heard
around here? ;))

Plus, plain old non-IDE editors have come a LONG, long way in the last
20 years. (For example, syntax highlighting used to be something you
mainly just got with the IDEs. Not anymore!)