D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:36:53 UTC 2018

On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 18:26:57 UTC, Chris wrote:

> I think this sort of misunderstanding is the source of a lot of
> friction on this forum. Some users think (or in my case:
> thought) that D will be a sound and stable language one day, a
> language they can use for loads of stuff, while the leadership
> prefers to keep it at a stage where they can test ideas to see
> what works and what doesn't, wait let me rephrase this, where
> the user can test other people's ideas with every new release.

D is not a petri dish for testing ideas. It's not an experiment.
It's a serious language. Walter, Andrei, and everyone involved in
maintaining and developing it want to see it succeed. They aren't
just treading water, wasting everyone's time. And I know you keep
hearing this, but I'll say it anyway: most of the development is
based on volunteer work, and trying to get volunteers to do
anything they don't want to do is like asking them to voluntarily
have their teeth pulled when they don't need to.

Walter has said that people come to him and ask what they should
work on. He provides them with a list of priority tasks. Then
they go off and work on something else. That's the nature of
unsponsored open-source development and has been the biggest
challenge for D for years.

I have high hopes that some of this can be turned around by
raising more money and I have long-term plans to try and
facilitate that over the coming months. With more money, we can
get people to work on targeted tasks even when they have no
vested interest in it. We can pull in full-time coders, maybe get
someone to oversee PR reviews so they don't stay open so long,
fund development of broader ecosystem projects.

There isn't anyone involved in the core D development who isn't
aware of the broader issues in the community or the ecosystem,
and they are working to bring improvements. I have been around
this community since 2003. From my perspective, it has been one
continuous march of progress. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but
always moving, always getting better. And right now there are
more people involved than ever in moving it forward.

Unfortunately, there are also more demands on more fronts than
ever. There are longtime users who become increasingly frustrated
when the issues that matter to them still aren't resolved,
newcomers who have no context of all the progress that has been
made and instead hold D in comparison to Rust, Go, and other
languages that have stronger backing and more manpower. That's
perfectly legitimate.

And of course, low manpower and funding aren't the complete
picture. Management also play a role. Both Walter and Andrei have
freely admitted they are not managers and that they're learning
as they go. Mistakes have been made. In hindsight, some decisions
should have gone a different way. But that is not the same as not
caring, or not understanding/

So please, don't attribute any disingenuous motives to any of the
core team members. They all want D to succeed. Identifying core
problems and discussing ways to solve them is a more productive
way to spend our bandwidth.