D is dead (was: Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.)

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:02:15 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 at 02:19:20 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 16:07:21 UTC, RhyS wrote:
>> On Monday, 3 September 2018 at 15:41:48 UTC, Laurent Tréguier
>> wrote:
>>> Yes. It almost sounds like a smooth experience would be a bad
>>> thing to have, especially with the classic "you don't need an
>>> IDE anyway" speech. Editing experience seems often dismissed
>>> as unimportant, when it's one of the first things new users
>>> will come across when trying out D. First impressions can
>>> matter a lot.
>
> I didn't give a you don't need an IDE speech, and I didn't say
> a smooth experience was a bad thing.

I know, I know. But it's always the same story, whenever people
wonder about D's state in IDE integration, often other people
will just say that vim + terminal is enough.

> But in my experience a strong reality orientation leads to good
> things coming out of life and telling the universe it should be
> something different from what it is is a recipe for misery and
> suffering, and why would you do that to yourself?
>
> So if you want the world to be different, come up with a plan.
> It could be I am going to donate X dollars a month to the
> Foundation to fund IDE development, or if could be figuring out
> how you can help with the work in whatever way.  But just
> grumbling - I really think that mistakes the nature of the
> situation, and not to mention human psychology.  You can
> accomplish things with a vision that's thought through and
> inspires others.  Negativity is part of being creative but not
> if you stop there.

I stated it in an earlier post, I've been working on editor/IDE
integration myself because of this. I don't just grumble,
although I do like grumbling a lot :)