This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Sep 4 11:15:38 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 21:07:20 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> GUI programming has been attempted a lot. (See Scratch for one
> of the latest, possibly most successful attempts). But there
> are real, practical reasons it's never made significant
> in-roads (yet).
>
> There are really two main, but largely independent, aspects to
> what you're describing: Visual representation, and physical
> interface:
>
> A. Visual representation:
> -------------------------
>
> By visual representation, I mean "some kind of text, or UML-ish
> diagrams, or 3D environment, etc".
>
> What's important to keep in mind here is: The *fundamental
> concepts* involved in programming are inherently abstract, and
> thus equally applicable to whatever visual representation is
> used.
>
> If you're going to make a diagram-based or VR-based programming
> tool, it will still be using the same fundamental concepts that
> are already established in text-based programming: Imperative
> loops, conditionals and variables. Functional/declarative
> immutability, purity and high-order funcs. Encapsulation.
> Pipelines (like ranges). Etc. And indeed, all GUI based
> programming tools have worked this way. Because how *else* are
> they going to work?

They say the main difficulty for non-programmers is control flow,
not type system, one system was reported usable where control
flow was represented visually, but sequential statements were
left as plain C. E.g. we have a system administrator here who has
no problem with powershell, but has absolutely no idea how to
start with C#.

> B. Physical interface:
>
> By this I mean both actual input devices (keyboards,
> controllers, pointing devices) and also the mappings from their
> affordances (ie, what you can do with them: push button x, tilt
> stick's axis Y, point, move, rotate...) to specific actions
> taken on the visual representation (navigate, modify, etc.)

Hardware engineers are like the primary target audience for
visual programming :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labview