This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Tue Sep 4 15:17:02 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 at 11:21:24 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 21:07:20 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> (Abscissa) wrote:
>> B. Physical interface:
>> ----------------------
>>
>> By this I mean both actual input devices (keyboards,
>> controllers, pointing devices) and also the mappings from
>> their affordances (ie, what you can do with them: push button
>> x, tilt stick's axis Y, point, move, rotate...) to specific
>> actions taken on the visual representation (navigate, modify,
>> etc.)
>
> Also guess why Linux has problems with hardware support even
> though they have all programmers they need who can write pretty
> much anything.

Because hardware costs money, reverse engineering hardware is a
specialized discipline, reverse engineering the drivers means you
need twice as many people and a more rigorous process for license
reasons, and getting drivers wrong could brick the device,
requiring you to order another copy?

Because Linux *doesn't* have all that many programmers compared
to the driver writers for literally every device in existence?