D IDE

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Sep 4 20:45:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 02:00:37PM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> And while a number of us do do at least some work on D-related stuff
> that we don't care about aside from wanting to improve the D ecosystem
> for others, when the vast majority of the time being put in is on a
> volunteer basis, the reality of the matter is that most of the effort
> is going to go towards things that those contributing care about and
> not what the community at large might care about or what folks who may
> join the community might care about.
[...]
> While it can be frustrating for someone to be told that they need to
> either pitch in or donate to get something that they want done, if
> it's something that isn't a priority for those who are spending their
> free time to do the work, it's often the cold the reality that that
> thing isn't going to get done any time soon.
[...]

Yes, that's just the cold hard reality.  Demanding for something in the
forums rarely has the desired effect of making that thing happen.  In
fact, it may have the opposite effect of turning off would-be volunteers
because they get tired of hearing said demands and decide to just ignore
it. Similarly, getting mad at the current state of things, while it may
be a good way to vent one's frustrations, rarely results in any actual
change in the status quo.

Realistically speaking, there are really only two ways to make a change
happen:

(1) Do it yourself, then (optionally) contribute the code to the
community so that everyone else can reap the benefits; or

(2) Convince someone to do it for you -- which usually means pay them to
do the work, which can be hiring someone yourself to do it, or donating
to the D Foundation so that they can pay someone to do it.  Demanding
volunteers to do something they aren't really interested in rarely has
the desired effect.

One could argue that this state of things sucks, and I might even agree.
But that still won't change anything.  Like it or not, nothing is going
to happen until either (1) or (2) happens.  Things aren't going to
materialize out of thin air just because people demand for it loudly
enough, even if we'd like for that to happen.  *Somebody* has to do the
work. That's just how the universe works.

Those who've learned LaTeX swear by it. Those who are learning LaTeX swear at it. -- Pete Bleackley