This is why I don't use D.

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 5 01:58:50 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:18:17 PM MDT James Blachly via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:49:36 UTC, Everlast wrote:
> > I downloaded 3ddemo, extracted, built and I get these errors:
>
> > This is typical with most of my trials with D... something is
> > always broken all the time and I'm expected to jump through a
> > bunch of hoops to get it to work. File a issue, fix it myself,
> > use a different library, etc. I'm expected to waste my time
> > fixing a problem that really should not exist or should have a
> > high degree of automation to help fix it. I really have better
> > things to do with my time so I won't invest it in D.
>
> Are you talking about this?
>
> https://github.com/clinei/3ddemo
>
> which hasn't been updated since February 2016?

This is part of why it's sometimes been discussed that we need a way to
indicate which dub packages are currently maintained and work. A package
updated last in February of 2016 may very well still work today with the
latest compiler, or it may fail to compile as happens here. It depends on
what the code is doing, what has changed in D since the last update, and how
up-to-date the code really was when it was last updated (e.g. if it was
ignoring deprecation warnings rather than fixing them, which I think was the
case here).

D is very usable as it is, and there are a number of great packages on dub,
but anything that isn't maintained will probably break eventually, even if
fixing it would likely be a quick fix. And if it isn't obvious whether a
package is maintained or not, it can be very frustrating when someone tries
to use it, thinking that it's usable when it isn't really.

I think that it's a bit much to ditch D over a particular package on dub not
working, but it is a real problem.

- Jonathan M Davis