This is why I don't use D.

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 5 02:10:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:54:49 PM MDT Dylan Graham via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:49:36 UTC, Everlast wrote:
> > I downloaded 3ddemo, extracted, built and I get these errors:
> >
> > logger 2.66.0: building configuration "library"...
> > \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\core.d(1717,16)
> > : Error: cannot implicitly convert expression logger of type
> > shared(Logger) to std.historical.logger.core.Logger
> > \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\core.d(261,21)
> > : Error: no property fracSec for type const(SysTime), did you mean
> > std.datetime.systime.SysTime.fracSecs?
> > \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\filelogger.d(8
> > 6,27): Error: template instance
> > `std.historical.logger.core.systimeToISOString!(LockingTextWriter)`
> > error instantiating dmd.exe failed with exit code 1.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Isn't that the historical branch? Well then of course it mightn't
> work due to advancements in the std lib. Why aren't you using
> std.experimental.logger?
>
> If D is so "shit", why not use another language? Most things work
> fine if you aren't grappling to old libraries and using that
> clutch at straws that D is "dying".

If I understand correctly, those errors are from trying to simply use a
package from code.dlang.org. The code errors are not his. They're a result
of the package he's trying to use not being maintained, which very much does
suck, though it's going to be a problem with most any language to one degree
or another. I think that he's overreacting, but he is pointing out a real
problem that has been discussed before. We need to find a way to improve
code.dlang.org so that it's clearer whether a package is maintained and
working or whether it's been abandoned. For all I know, the folks working on
code.dlang.org already have plans for a way to improve that, but they're
busy people, and progress isn't always fast - especially when it's a quality
of life thing and not a technical issue that has to be fixed for things to
work.

- Jonathan M Davis