Engine of forum

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 5 02:37:54 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 1:25:14 PM MDT Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 8/21/2018 7:18 AM, Seb wrote:
> >> some rely on stackoverflow, some have an active wiki
> >
> > There are a few good points to move D.learn to Stack Overflow and that's
> > actually one thing that we have talked about a few times and somehow
> > never has happened. In the D survey there was a 2:1 "consensus" for
> > StackOverflow.
> My reservation about stackoverflow is it could go dark at any moment, and
> we'd lose it all. Having critical business data dependent on any third
> party that has zero commitment or accountability to us is very risky.
>
> With the NNTP, git, and bugzilla, we all have backups under our control.

In addition to that, SO and D.Learn are fundamentally different ways to
communicate with their own pros and cons. And both are used. People ask D
questions in both places, and I don't see any reason to try and get rid of
one in favor of the other. Shutting down D.Learn would essentially be saying
that we don't want to help people learning D (even if we're then willing to
help them on SO), and it would result in an increase in questions in the
main newsgroup about how to use D. We have enough problems with that
already. I don't think that it makes any sense to even consider shutting
down D.Learn regardless of what's going on with SO.

- Jonathan M Davis