This is why I don't use D.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 5 05:44:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 01:18:17AM +0000, James Blachly via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:49:36 UTC, Everlast wrote:
> > I downloaded 3ddemo, extracted, built and I get these errors:

[...]
> Are you talking about this?
>
> https://github.com/clinei/3ddemo
>
> which hasn't been updated since February 2016?

To me, this strongly suggests the following idea:
- add *all* dlang.org packages to our current autotester / CI
  infrastructure.
- if a particular (version of a) package builds successfully, log the
  compiler version / git hash / package version to a database and add
  a note to dlang.org that this package built successfully with this
  compiler version.
- if a particular (version of a) package fails to build for whatever
  reason, log the failure and have a bot add a note to dlang.org that
  this package does NOT build with that compiler version.
   - possibly add the package to a blacklist for this compiler version
     so that we don't consume too many resources on outdated packages
     that no longer build.
- periodically update dlang.org (by bot) to indicate the last known
  compiler version that successfully built this package.
- in the search results, give preference to packages that built
  successfully with the latest official release.

This should help clear up these incidents with outdated packages.

When solving a problem, take care that you do not become part of the problem.