This is why I don't use D.

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Wed Sep 5 06:15:10 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 05:44:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 01:18:17AM +0000, James Blachly via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:49:36 UTC, Everlast wrote:
>> > I downloaded 3ddemo, extracted, built and I get these errors:

> [...]
>> Are you talking about this?
>>
>> https://github.com/clinei/3ddemo
>>
>> which hasn't been updated since February 2016?
>
> To me, this strongly suggests the following idea:
> - add *all* dlang.org packages to our current autotester / CI
>   infrastructure.
> - if a particular (version of a) package builds successfully,
> log the
>   compiler version / git hash / package version to a database
> and add
>   a note to dlang.org that this package built successfully with
> this
>   compiler version.
> - if a particular (version of a) package fails to build for
> whatever
>   reason, log the failure and have a bot add a note to
> dlang.org that
>   this package does NOT build with that compiler version.
>    - possibly add the package to a blacklist for this compiler
> version
>      so that we don't consume too many resources on outdated
> packages
>      that no longer build.
> - periodically update dlang.org (by bot) to indicate the last
> known
>   compiler version that successfully built this package.
> - in the search results, give preference to packages that built
>   successfully with the latest official release.
>
> This should help clear up these incidents with outdated
> packages.

Many CI failures I had where because of code.dlang.org wasn't
accessible (and none of its mirrors). It doesn't make sense to
test a bunch of packages without a reliable infrastructure.
Furthermore I don't think it is the problem. The problem is that
I can take PHP7 from this year and run pretty big 5 years old
applications with it. It isn't possible with D. And it is
something Walter mentioned many times: there are people who want
changes and people who want stability - and you can't make
everyone happy.

For example I like the fact that the language changes
permanently. Things like broken interface contracts - regression
that isn't fixed for two years now - make me really sad, but
conscious breakages with deprecation period are fine. PHP doesn't
have the freedom to update the language more than it does because
of economic reasons: a lot of smaller customers just don't have
money to update their code every month or they don't understand
why they should spend money on it if it already works (I think it
is similar for C++), so I also use D that can step forward faster.