This is why I don't use D.

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 5 15:34:14 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:28:38 AM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 09:18:24AM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>
> > 3rd party libraries are usually the real problem if there is one. They
> > need to be maintained, and if something happens that breaks them from
> > one release to another, that can prevent you from upgrading until it's
> > fixed - which may or may not be quick even if they're maintained. And
> > if they're not maintained, well, then that's a serious problem. Now,
> > that would be a big problem in pretty much any language, but the
> > greater rate of change in D does make it worse than it would be in
> > languages that change at a much more glacial pace.
>
> [...]
>
> And that is why I think we should implement my idea of putting *all* dub
> packages on code.dlang.org into our CI infrastructure, and log all
> successes / failures to a database that can then be used to display the
> range of version(s) of compilers that successfully built each package on
> code.dlang.org. Then people can quickly see, at a glance, whether the
> package still works with the version of the compiler that they're using
> (usually the most recent release, but not always, so this information
> can be super useful in making decisions).

Oh, I think that that's a good idea, and it should help with folks picking
libraries to use, but it doesn't fix the fundamental problem that whoever
wrote the library needs to continue to maintain it or pass it on to someone
else to maintain it when they don't want to maintain it anymore, or anyone
using it is going to be screwed. So, while your suggestion will definitely
help with a piece of the problem, it doesn't solve the part that I was
talking about.

- Jonathan M Davis