This is why I don't use D.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Sep 5 21:49:08 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 04:40:19PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> What we need is for DUB to quit pretending the compiler (and DUB
> itself, for that matter) isn't a dependency just like any other. I
> pointed this out years ago over at DUB's GitHub project, but pretty
> much just got silence.

Yeah, to truly capture dependencies properly, you need to specify the
dub version and the compiler version(s).  And dub needs to treat this
just like any other dependency.

The problem with compiler versions, though, is that while you can
specify a minimum compiler version (e.g., if you use a feature that's
not implemented in earlier versions), you can't reasonably specify a
maximum compiler version, because you can't predict when your code will
stop compiling due to future changes in the language / compiler and/or
future regressions.  For the latter, you still need a CI infrastructure
to periodically test your code against the latest compiler toolchain to
determine whether or not it still compiles.

If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are
perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in
frightful danger of seeing it for the first time. -- G. K. Chesterton