John Regehr on "Use of Assertions"

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 5 23:55:48 UTC 2018

On 02.09.2018 02:47, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> On 09/01/2018 08:44 PM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>>
>>     "Are Assertions Enabled in Production Code?"
>>     "This is entirely situational."
>>     "The question of whether it is better to stop or keep going when
>> an internal bug is detected is not a straightforward one to answer."
>

> All in all, John is very non-committal about the whole thing.

I think you misunderstood what the original post and Guillaumes
disappointment was about. Walter claims that John agrees that UB on
failure is the best default -release behavior for assertions. John
rather explicitly states the opposite in the article.

Being non-committal about whether assertions should be enabled in
production or not just means that the language should provide both
options. D does not. Assertions are always enabled: either they are
checked or they are used as assumptions.