This is why I don't use D.

Jon Degenhardt jond at noreply.com
Thu Sep 6 04:25:17 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 16:26:14 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 06/09/2018 4:19 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 09:34:14AM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:28:38 AM MDT H. S. Teoh via
>>> Digitalmars-d
>>> wrote:
> [...]
>> Also, if the last working compiler version is prominently
>> displayed e.g.
>> in the search results, it will inform people about the
>> maintenance state
>> of that package, which could factor in their decision to use
>> that
>> package or find an alternative.  It will also inform people
>> about
>> potential breakages before they upgrade their compiler.
>>
>> It doesn't solve all the problems, but it does seem like a
>> good initial
>> low-hanging fruit that shouldn't be too hard to implement.
>
> Alternatively we can let dub call home for usage with CI
> systems and register it having been tested for a given compiler
> on a specific tag.

A possibility might be to let package owners specify one of the
build status badges commonly added to README files when
registering the DUB package. Then display the badge in the
code.dlang.org pages (home page, search result page). It would of
course be better to display the latest compiler version tested,
but repurposing existing badges might be simpler and provide some
value until a more sophisticated scheme can be implemented.

--Jon