Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Sep 6 07:23:57 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 22:00:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> //
>
> Seriously, people need to get over the fantasy that they can
> just use Unicode without understanding how Unicode works.  Most
> of the time, you can get the illusion that it's working, but
> actually 99% of the time the code is actually wrong and will do
> the wrong thing when given an unexpected (but still valid)
> Unicode string.  You can't drive without a license, and even if
> you try anyway, the chances of ending up in a nasty accident is
> pretty high.  People *need* to learn how to use Unicode
> properly before complaining about why this or that doesn't work
> the way they thought it should work.

Python 3 gives me this:

print(len("á"))
1

and so do other languages.

Is it asking too much to ask for `string` (not `dstring` or
`wstring`) to behave as most people would expect it to behave in
2018 - and not like Python 2 from days of yore? But of course, D
users should have a "Unicode license" before they do anything
with strings. (I wonder is there a different license for UTF8 and
UTF16 and UTF32, Big / Little Endian, BOM? Just asking.)

So again, for the umpteenth time, it's the users' fault. I see.
Ironically enough, it was the language developers' lack of
understanding of Unicode that led to string handling being a
nightmare in D in the first place. Oh lads, if you were
politicians I'd say that with this attitude you're gonna the next
election. I say this, because many times the posts by (core)
developers remind me so much of politicians who are completely
detached from the reality of the people. Right oh!