Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Sep 6 07:54:09 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 6 September 2018 at 07:23:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 22:00:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh
> wrote:
>

>> //
>>
>> Seriously, people need to get over the fantasy that they can
>> just use Unicode without understanding how Unicode works.
>> Most of the time, you can get the illusion that it's working,
>> but actually 99% of the time the code is actually wrong and
>> will do the wrong thing when given an unexpected (but still
>> valid) Unicode string.  You can't drive without a license, and
>> even if you try anyway, the chances of ending up in a nasty
>> accident is pretty high.  People *need* to learn how to use
>> Unicode properly before complaining about why this or that
>> doesn't work the way they thought it should work.

> Python 3 gives me this:
>
> print(len("á"))
> 1
>
> and so do other languages.

The same Python 3 that people criticize for having unintuitive
unicode string handling?

https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/nopython3.html

> Is it asking too much to ask for `string` (not `dstring` or
> `wstring`) to behave as most people would expect it to behave
> in 2018 - and not like Python 2 from days of yore? But of
> course, D users should have a "Unicode license" before they do
> anything with strings. (I wonder is there a different license
> for UTF8 and UTF16 and UTF32, Big / Little Endian, BOM? Just
> asking.)

Yes and no, unicode is a clusterf***, so every programming
language is having problems with it.

> So again, for the umpteenth time, it's the users' fault. I see.
> Ironically enough, it was the language developers' lack of
> understanding of Unicode that led to string handling being a
> nightmare in D in the first place. Oh lads, if you were
> politicians I'd say that with this attitude you're gonna the
> next election. I say this, because many times the posts by
> (core) developers remind me so much of politicians who are
> completely detached from the reality of the people. Right oh!

You have a point that it was D devs' ignorance of unicode that
led to the current auto-decoding problem. But let's have some
nuance here, the problem ultimately is unicode.