This is why I don't use D.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:12:11 UTC 2018

On 9/5/18 4:40 PM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:18:17 PM MDT James Blachly via
>> Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you talking about this?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/clinei/3ddemo
>>>
>>> which hasn't been updated since February 2016?
>>
>> This is part of why it's sometimes been discussed that we need a way to
>> indicate which dub packages are currently maintained and work.
>
> What we need is for DUB to quit pretending the compiler (and DUB itself,
> for that matter) isn't a dependency just like any other. I pointed this
> out years ago over at DUB's GitHub project, but pretty much just got
> silence.

The compiler doesn't change all that often, and when it does, it's
usually a long deprecation cycle.

The problem really is that phobos/druntime change all the time. And they
are tied to the compiler.

I think some sort of semver scheme really should be implemented for the
compiler and phobos. But we need more manpower to handle that.

-Steve