Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Sep 6 13:30:11 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 6 September 2018 at 11:01:55 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:

> So Unicode in D works EXACTLY as expected, yet people in this
> thread act as if the house is on fire.

Expected by who? The Unicode expert or the user?

> D dying because of auto-decoding? Who can possibly think that
> in its right mind?

Nobody, it's just another major issue to be fixed.

> The worst part of this forum is that suddenly everyone, by
> virtue of posting in a newsgroup, is an annointed language
> design expert.
>
> Let me break that to you: core developer are language experts.
> The rest of us are users, that yes it doesn't make us
> necessarily qualified to design a language.

Calm down. I for my part never said I was an expert on language
design.

Number one: experts do make mistakes too, there is nothing wrong
with that. And autodecode is a good example of experts getting it
wrong, because, you know, you cannot be an expert in all fields.
I think the problem was that it was discovered too late.

Number two: why shouldn't users be allowed to give feedback?
Engineers and developers need feedback, else we'd still be using
CLI, wouldn't we. The user doesn't need to be an expert to know
what s/he likes and doesn't like and developers / engineers often
have a different point of view as to what is important / annoying
etc. That's why IT companies introduced customer service, because
the direct interaction between developers and users would often
end badly (disgruntled customers).