What changes to D would you like to pay for?

RhyS sale at rhysoft.com
Fri Sep 7 10:51:28 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 07:00:49 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> The D foundation is planning to add a way for us to pay for
> changes we'd like to see in D and its ecosystem, rather than
> having to code everything we need ourselves or find and hire a
> D dev to do it:
>
> $50 - Parallelize the compiler, particularly ldc, so that I can
> pass it -j5 and have it use five cores _and_ not have the bloat
> of separate compiler invocation for each module/package, ie
> taking up more memory or time.
>
> $30 - Implement H.S. Teoh's suggestion of having an automated
> build system to periodically check which dub packages are
> building with official compiler releases:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.3611.1536126324.29801.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com
>
> $25 - Enable GC for the DMD frontend, so that dmd/gdc/ldc use
> less memory
>
> I would also stake smaller amounts on various smaller bugs, if
> there were a better interface than bountysource and people were
> actually using it, ie users knew about and were staking money
> and D core devs were fixing those bugs and claiming that money.
>
> 2. Would you be okay with the patches you fund not being
> open-sourced for a limited time, with the time limit or funding
> threshold for open source release specified ahead of time, to
> ensure that funding targets are hit?
>
> Yes, as long as everything is open-sourced eventually, I'm good.

The list of issues i have with D will probably bankrupt me.

But i will put my money where my mouth is:

** 750$ **

For a build in working high performance documented http server (
with all the basic necessities needed for web development ). Not
just vibe.d as some module that breaks every time somebody
sneezes!

It needs to be simple as:

import core.http;
import core.http.mysql;
import core.http.postgresql;

And with a time limit of 3 months. Because i know how D works,
its no use to have bounties when they idle for years. And that is
also the time limit i have for the start of a new project.

Its the only way to get a reliably http server with database
access in my opinion. Because any issues are forced to be fixed
on every DMD release! And its just idiotic that D does not have a
build in HTTP server. This is a massive selling point for several
of the competing languages.

And if i like what i see, there can be more on the table as i am
creating my company next month. Hooray for tax deductibles.

And yes, i know 750$ is **way** too cheap, but that is what i am
comfortable putting on the table for now with the history of D.

So think of this putting my butt on the line. If D can start to
show the correct type of progress in the next months ( user
friendliness, bug fixes, no more specialized enhancements, string
fixes, API stability work, ...), i am even willing to hire some
people in N-Spain for D development and they can help also help
out with D its progress.

I must be a idiot to put my money on D with its issues *sigh*...
So the next guy that dares to say "put up money or shut up", here
it is.