This is why I don't use D.

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 8 04:08:06 UTC 2018

On 09/07/2018 10:29 AM, 0xEAB wrote:
> On Friday, 7 September 2018 at 08:12:05 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa)
> wrote:
>> Personally, I think that's a really good way to go. However, for
>> awhile now, I've been starting to think: "Wouldn't it be awesome to
>> have a packager manager that AUTOMATICALLY picks up compatibility
>> information directly from each project's CI result
>
> How many projects do use CI, though? Especially how many of those that
> actually suffer from not being actively maintained?
> How many project maintainers are interested in playing around with
> different compiler versions on their CI?  Even if they are, in the end
> they will just remove old compilers as soon as building with them fails
> in order to get positive CI results...

Those are all valid problems, but they're all equally problematic
regardless of whether or not a package manager makes use of the CI data
available.

But at least with a CI-aware pack manager, the package manager can at
least avoid selecting a dependency combination that CI testing has
already shown doesn't work.

Plus, if not enough projects use CI, than any additional incentive to
nudge them into using it is only a good thing.