Source changes should include date of change

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:36:01 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 at 11:29:15 UTC, Josphe Brigmo
wrote:
> Um, I didn't say don't use Git!
>
> Your illogic is that you believe that one can have only one or
> the other when one can have both. Hence, you are excluding a
> completely valid addition. You think it is an alternative. You
> are wrong. Please think about the question before you answer
> next time so that you don't get in the habit of doing it. No
> one said that Git couldn't be used and telling me to use it is
> very arrogant of yourself.
>
> The fact of the matter is that dates in source code will help
> when git is not available and one only has the source code.

Git does a better job of tracking history automatically than
anyone could ever realistically do by hand. So not only would
date comments be useless duplication of work, they'd be useless
duplication of inferior quality to the original.

It would be like keeping a horse at your house at all times, in
case your car breaks down. Even if it's occasionally useful, it
is not worth the constant maintenance costs of feeding the horse,
cleaning the stable, etc.

If your car breaks down, you find a way to get it fixed. If git
isn't available to you, you find a way to make it available.