This is why I don't use D.

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Sat Sep 8 19:08:20 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 at 18:10:50 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> A related issue is projects that have dependencies outside of D
> itself
> - for instance, a project that wraps GTK or Qt or something C
> or C++ library
> that is on many systems but which isn't guaranteed to be
> present. It would
> be trivial to end up with packages being marked as unmaintained
> or not even
> working at all when in reality, they work just fine. It's just
> that they
> require more than just dub and the D compiler to work.

Something that compiled with dmd 2.069.0 but doesn't compile with
2.080.0 is compatible with the former and not the latter. If
something seems to fail to compile with every compiler version,
we can make a soft recommendation for the version that was newest
when that version of that package was released.

This doesn't let us tell you whether a package works or not, but
it does let us recommend a compiler version pretty well.

It would certainly require careful messaging.