Source changes should include date of change

Josphe Brigmo JospheBrigmo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 01:27:06 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 8 September 2018 at 18:47:39 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 September 2018 at 06:59:28 UTC, Josphe Brigmo
> wrote:
>> Having source code that doesn't show changes with dates is
>> pretty useless for diagnostics. I realize that git has the
>> changes but the source code should.
>
> What problem did you encounter where you had trouble getting
> the information you needed with git blame, where a source code
> comment listing change dates would help?
>
>> Why not also add a link to the git hub patch
>
> Because that's a lot of work to replicate something git already
> does.
>
>> or bugzilla or whatever?
>
> Currently, some code in phobos does reference issues on the
> dlang bugzilla. The common categories for this include:
>
> * Explaining why we want things to work this way, if that
> requires more than a couple sentences of explanation
> * Pointing out what problem this is a workaround for
> * Pointing out which past problem motivated this unittest
>
> Things that help you understand the code as it currently is.
>
> Is there some situation you've encountered in the past where
> that kind of comment wasn't enough?

This has nothing to do with git. People think git is the end all
be all. What if git is not available, then what? It's moronic to
think that one has to use one or the other when both options are
available and both only add information.

The same people that are saying use git used to say that git was
overkill because it wasn't needed before it became popular. They
are simply always looking for a way to justify their current
belief. They think the world is black or white. They then pretend
that a choice has to be made between two possibilities. e.g.,
either religion or science(but not both because they only have
xor in their operations), either black or white. Either yes or
no, either hot or cold, either this or that. They then go crazy
when someone offers the other choice as a solution because they
feel they will lose their safety blanket.

How hard would it be to automate dating for dmd source so that
everything is consistent in a way that makes sense?

See, people rather blow off their bad leg just so they have one
good leg rather than have a bad leg and a good leg.

"A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something
is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact
there is at least one additional option. A false dilemma can
arise intentionally, when a fallacy is used in an attempt to
force a choice or outcome."

BTW, not every uses git and git is not always available so to say
"You must use git" just sounds likes arrogant(of course, arrogant
people don't think they are arrogant).

When I have to dive in to source code to find something, it helps
to have some clue when the code was added. A clue is better than
being in the dark, but as we know, some people just like to bury
their head in the sand. For them, ignorance is bliss.