code.dlang.org package list

void void at main.d
Mon Sep 10 00:56:37 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 9 September 2018 at 06:32:39 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Saturday, September 8, 2018 8:36:26 PM MDT void via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Sunday, 9 September 2018 at 01:30:14 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > https://code.dlang.org/packages/index.json
>> >
>> > https://code.dlang.org/api/packages/[package name]/info
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I downloaded 100 packages from code.dlang.org and search for
>> "*doc*" and "*example*"
>>
>> The results:
>>
>> 13 packages with "*doc*"
>> 41 packages with "*example*"
>> 55 packages with neither
>> 8 packages with both
>
> What would you expect that to tell you? ddoc doesn't require
> any kind of doc folder (though some projects would have one for
> custom ddoc files that then affect how the documentation
> looks), and usually, the best way to handle examples is to use
> ddoc-ed unittest blocks. So, while in some cases, it would be
> appropriate to have some sort of additional documentation or
> examples separate from the source code, in general, there isn't
> much need for it. So, I don't know what information anyone
> would expect to get from whether or not a project has any
> folders with doc or example in their name.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Script updated now searches for the string "unittest" on package
directory (*.d files only).

Result:
48 packages with "unittest"

That means there is ~= 50% chance an user should read the library
source in order to use it. To be fair I should manually check if
README.md is decent enough.