Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Sep 10 14:07:54 UTC 2018

On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 14:00:43 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 10 September 2018 at 15:43, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> LDC recently added a linux/AArch64 CI for both its main
>> branches and 64-bit ARM, ie AArch64, builds have been put out
>> for both linux and Android. It does not seem that many are
>> paying attention to this sea change that is going on with
>> computing though, so let me lay out some evidence.
>>

> I've just got back from a conference where AArch64 was declared
> a disaster

Why?

> and the future is now PPC64 and RISC-V.

If you're not joking, it still stands that AArch64 is the
_present_, as the currently most widely-deployed CPU arch used
for personal computing, ie in mobile devices.

Those other two arches are a joke right now, but you never know
in the future. ARM was a joke compared to Intel a couple decades
ago too. ;)