John Regehr on "Use of Assertions"

aliak something at something.com
Mon Sep 10 21:11:58 UTC 2018

On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 20:25:21 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Monday, September 10, 2018 1:44:22 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>   [...]
>
> Honestly, that seems like total overkill, and I think that you
> would have a _very_ hard sell to get much of anyone to try to
> use four variants of assert, regardless of what they were.
>
> [...]

FWIW I agree that maybe all those is a bit much - would be quite
confusing to figure out the nuances between
assert/enforce/assume/insist/uphold/allege.

But, I do see the value in adding an assert flavour that [also]
aborts in release mode and allows optimizations. And I think the
proposed assume is a reasonable name for it. And if people want
it to be left out of release builds they can call "debug
assume(...)" (compiler is still free to still optimize).

Cheers,
- Ali