Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Sep 11 06:42:26 UTC 2018

On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 19:28:01 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 16:09:41 UTC, rjframe wrote:

> That's exactly whats happening in Africa. The continent is
> leapfrogging from nothing to a smart phone thanks to China.
> Many don'[t know how to even use a PC. Especially the young and
> upcoming generation.
>
> The smart phone market is really significant.

That's why I'm trying to draw attention to first class ARM
support by the D Foundation (not just some voluntary efforts,
much as they are appreciated). ARM in dmd wouldn't be a bad idea
perhaps, as Manu suggested. It's become more than obvious over
the last couple of years that mobile devices have become very
important and that people often use them instead of PCs or
laptops. Fewer and fewer developers can "escape" development for
mobile ("we want an app too"), and if a language doesn't offer
first class support for mobile, then devs won't bother with it. A
lot of other (new) languages are directing their efforts towards
mobile for a reason.