Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Sep 12 07:13:14 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 at 06:41:38 UTC, Gambler wrote:
[snip]

> In essence, we are seeing the rapid widening of two digital
> divides. The first one is between users and average developers.
> The second one is between average developers and researchers at
> companies like Google. I very much doubt that we will see an
> equivalent of today's high-end machine learning server on
> user's desk, let alone in anyone's pocket, within 7 years.

I don't think it's necessarily gonna be like the late 80's PC
"revolution" that led to ever more powerful machines being
available to the average home user. But most definitely people
are switching to mobile, especially because most phones are now
powerful enough to do what people used PCs for: internet, email,
streaming and even gaming. Then you have speech recognition and
text to speech on Android and iOS which makes mobile phones
attractive for the visually impaired, and it fits into your
pocket. There may be additional benefits in places like Africa
where you might not be able to set up PCs and laptops everywhere
(which is true even of first world countries). Think of money
transfer via apps. I think that's a huge thing in some places in
Africa. It's not just about the processing power, it's about
convenience. The first question you often hear is "Is there an
app for it too?" And even if ARM is replaced someday, the mobile
market will remain strong, just with a different architecture -
and then D has to cater for that too.