Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Wed Sep 12 21:31:45 UTC 2018

On 12 September 2018 at 10:46, Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 at 08:09:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> I contacted one of the few companies putting out RISC-V dev boards,
>> Sifive, a couple weeks ago with the suggestion of making available a paid
>> RISC-V VPS, and one of their field engineers got back to me last week with a
>> note that they're looking into it.
>>
>> I think their model of having an open ISA with proprietary extensions will
>> inevitably win out for hardware, just as a similar model has basically won
>> already for software, but that doesn't mean that RISC-V will be the one to
>> do it. Someone else might execute that model better.
>

> I could not agree more - look at Parallella! Their model is the same yet it
> ultimately failed (unfortunately as I think Exynos is seriously good stuff)!
> :(

I only ever saw Parallella used in the context of a CPU where you
offload computation onto, rather than something your system runs
directly on-top of.

For this, I assumed their target audience was mainly places that
currently use expensive GPUs.