Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Sep 13 22:56:31 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:41:08 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 09/10/2018 11:13 PM, tide wrote:
>> On Monday, 10 September 2018 at 13:43:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> That's why PC sales keep dropping while mobile sales are now
>>> 6-7X that per year:
>>
>> This shouldn't be misunderstood as such, which I think you as
>> misunderstanding it. The reason mobile sales are so high is
>> because of planned obsolescence and the walled garden that
>> these devices are built around. I've gone through maybe 3-4
>> phones in the time that I've had my Desktop, and I use my
>> desktop every single day. I don't need to buy a new one cause
>> it runs perfectly fine, there aren't operating system updates
>> that purposely cause the CPU to run slower to "save battery
>> life" when a new device and OS come out. That's not to say it
>> isn't insignificant but the sales numbers are exacerbated.
>
> Right. Basically, "sales stats" should never be misconstrued as
> "usage stats".

The usage stats are similarly overwhelming, two-thirds of digital
time is spent on mobile, more for the young:

https://www.searchforce.com/blog/the-comscore-u-s-mobile-app-report-2017/

I went all-mobile three years ago, haven't looked back.