Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Fri Sep 14 16:53:16 UTC 2018

On 14 September 2018 at 09:51, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 at 22:41:31 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> On 12 September 2018 at 10:09, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think their model of having an open ISA with proprietary extensions
>>> will inevitably win out for hardware, just as a similar model has basically
>>> won already for software, but that doesn't mean that RISC-V will be the one
>>> to do it. Someone else might execute that model better.
>>>

>> POWER9 has been making some headway, for instance finally they have a
>> sensible real type (IEEE Quadruple).  Though the developers working on glibc
>> support seem to be making a shambles of it, where they want to support both
>> new and old long double types at the same time at run-time!  It seems that
>> no one thought about Fortran, Ada, or D when it came to long double support
>> in the C runtime library *sigh*.
>>
>> For us, I think we can choose to ignore the old IBM 128-bit float, and so
>> remove any supporting code from our library, focusing instead only on
>> completing IEEE 128-bit float support (LDC, upstream your local patches
>> before i start naming and shaming you).
>

> All the pulls linked from that AArch64 tracker issue above were submitted
> upstream first before merging into the ldc repo. Only one patch that I know
> of hasn't been merged upstream yet: my commit to add IEEE Quadruple support
> to core.internal.convert, only because I want to add another Android commit
> to that pull soon, but the patch is available in the open druntime pulls.
>
> If you know of some other patches that need to be upstreamed, let us know,
> AFAIK they were all upstreamed first.

Can you send me links to any open PR you have?  These should not be
sitting around for months without merge.

The 128-bit float support was particularly annoying as I nearly wasted
a day implementing it myself without knowing someone already had done
the work.