phobo's std.file is completely broke!

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 11:33:47 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 15 September 2018 at 10:57:56 UTC, Josphe Brigmo
wrote:
> All ansi api calls are limited by MAX_PATH.
>
> The way to fix it is to use the wide api calls which are not
> limited or to use other tricks.
>
> Phobos *NEEDS* to be modified to work with these newer OS's.

Phobos already uses the wide APIs where it can.

Sometimes it uses the C APIs, though, for C compatibility. One
example of this is std.stdio.File, which is based on C FILE*.

We can change std.file to use Windows APIs on Windows, no
problem. That also will help with Unicode compatibility. However,
as far as I can see, this has already been done for the cases
you're having problems with (remove, and dirEntries which doesn't
even have a C API).

So, it looks like all you need to do is prepend \\?\ to your
paths. If it still doesn't work, the problem is with Windows.
(Well, the problem was with Windows to begin with...)