phobo's std.file is completely broke!

Josphe Brigmo JospheBrigmo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 18:11:05 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 15 September 2018 at 13:23:34 UTC, Rubn wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 September 2018 at 12:59:25 UTC, Josphe Brigmo
> wrote:
>> This is the typical mindset with D. There are all these
>> "minor" problems that people(the D community pretends are all
>> that big a deal but when you couple all these problems
>> together it results in a very unpleasant programming
>> experience(out of all the languages I've programmed in D is
>> about the worse in this regard).
>
> You keep saying you regret using D, well let's go to C++ then.
> How are you going to solve this problem with C++?
>
> It's a problem that can be worked around, if you are using the
> latest version of Windows it can be fixed by simply setting a
> registry entry. Then **all** your applications on your system
> will work with long file names.

Actually, I'd use C#, as it is a well thought out language that
is consistent in nature and runtime.

But, the damn problem, which you seem to not understand, is that
once one chooses D to do something in and puts in time, then only
do they find out how poor it works and then the choice is made to
continue using it hoping for the best or start over from scratch.

The problem is that I'm an optimist at heart but every time that
is tested with D. It works for something amazingly well, for
other things amazingly poor.

But with peoples attitudes like yours it seems this will always
be the case for D. It would be nice if people did what was
required to make D as great as it could be rather than having the
attitude "If you don't like it leave".

Usually when someone comes in to bitch about a problem with
D(which is usually legit), there is a wall of "it's not our
problem" attitudes.